TRANSFIGURATION PLACE APARTMENTS
Built in 1926, Transfiguration School, now known as Transfiguration Place was designed and built by Garstecki & Waier to serve Detroit’s growing Polish population, the building served as the congregation’s house of worship until the church opened next door. In 1952, a new, larger church building was built, designed by Narcyz Kostrzanowski and constructed by the Arthur O. Misch Company. In 2005, the building closed due to the shrinking parish and the school building was leased to a charter school up until 2014. In 2019, the school was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Financing for the development took tremendous coordination and support from various entities. Local, state and federal assistance included financing from Michigan State Housing Development Authority Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (MSHDA LIHTC), the HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME), and Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) by the Housing and Revitalization Department. As well as project-based vouchers through the Detroit Housing Commission. Ethos Development Partners and Cinnaire Solutions utilized the 4 percent Housing Credit to develop this property, with syndication provided by Alliant Capital.
The 2-story building renovation involved turning each classroom into 7 one-bedroom and 2 two-bedroom apartment homes with all the amenities that one would expect while maintaining the original historic nature.