Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
Liberty Landing, developed by Concern for Independent Living, Inc. (Concern), provides 59 affordable homes across eight buildings, including 30 homes homeless veterans and 29 homes for low-income households. A Community Center located on-site offers a community room, computer room, and an exercise room for residents. The grounds include outdoor gardens with seating and off-street parking reserved for tenants and program staff. In addition, Concern staff ensures that the supportive service needs of all residents are met. On-site supportive services provided by Concern include:
- Goal planning and assistance;
- Medication management;
- Assistance with Daily Living Skills (including cleaning, cooking and personal hygiene);
- Assistance with benefits;
- Parenting training and assistance (as appropriate);
- Linkages to medical and psychiatric treatment and clinics;
- Crisis intervention;
- Substance abuse services;
- Linkages for legal assistance;
- Direct educational/vocational training or assistance in accessing educational/vocational training; and
- Supported employment.
Emphasis is placed on services that support residents’ ability to find or sustain employment, become more self-sufficient, or promote their economic betterment.
Liberty Landing was made possible through equity from the Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (Housing Credit), which was invested by National Equity Fund after Housing Credits were awarded by New York State Homes and Community Renewal. The New York State Homeless Housing and Assistance Program, New York State Office of Mental Health, the County of Suffolk, and the Home Depot Foundation also provided necessary support. Operations are supported by NYS Office of Mental Health and 8 Project-Based Section 8 vouchers provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the New York State Housing Trust Fund.